The name “Eastburn and Gray” was originally coined on January 1, 1946, upon the formation of a partnership between Arthur M. Eastburn, Sr. and Samuel S. Gray, Jr. However, the law firm’s origins date back to Arthur’s father, Hugh B. Eastburn, who was admitted to the Bucks County Bar on August 14, 1877. Today Hugh’s great-grandson, D. Rodman Eastburn, and his great-great granddaughter, Sarah A. Eastburn, practice with the firm, making it a 140-year old institution.
In 1975, the firm purchased the house located at 60 East Court Street, along with the carriage house at the rear of 68 East Court Street. The house was erected in 1833 by Charles E. DuBois, Esquire. The carriage house, at the northwest corner of Broad Street and Garden Alley, was built in 1860. Both structures had previously been converted into offices.
In 1979, the firm acquired the adjoining house at 62 East Court Street. It was built in 1844 by Attorney Stokes L. Roberts and later sold to General W. W. H. Davis. Besides having commanded the Bucks County regiment during the Civil War, General Davis was a lawyer, the governor of the territory of New Mexico, a founder of the Bucks County Historical Society and the Bucks County Bar Association, editor of the Doylestown Democrat, and author of “Doylestown Old and New” published in 1904. The firm’s acquisition of 62 East Court Street made it possible for the entire firm to operate out of adjacent buildings. Renovations provided access between the houses at 60 and 62 East Court. Further building acquisitions in 1981 and 1988 provided additional room for the expanding firm to accommodate more attorneys and staff, resulting in a campus of five office buildings surrounding a central parking area in the heart of Doylestown Borough, steps away from the Bucks County Courthouse.
Over recent years the dynamic growth of Eastburn and Gray has continued. The firm has grown to include a roster of individual clients and local, regional and national business clients and has developed strong specialties in areas like taxation, litigation, transactional law, land use, estate planning, employment law, family law and school law.
Besides broadening its legal capabilities, Eastburn and Gray has expanded geographically. In 2003, the firm opened an office in Blue Bell, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and in 2014, relocated that office to state-of-the-art office space which will accommodate the continued expansion of the firm in Montgomery County.
Over its history the firm has always encouraged participation by its members in the affairs of the community. Seven of our attorneys have served as president of the Bucks County Bar Association, including: Samuel Gray, Jr.; Art Eastburn, Jr.; William H. Eastburn, III; Frank Gallagher; Jay Karsch; Jeff Finley; Judith A. Algeo and Grace Deon. In addition, Marc Jonas, Bob Watson and Mark Cappuccio hold leadership positions at the Montgomery Bar Association. The majority of our attorneys are active in the communities where they live and work.
Eastburn and Gray has grown and developed from a single lawyer in 1877 to 32 lawyers in 2017. In that time, the practice of law has also changed dramatically. We look forward with confidence to many more years of serving the law, the courts and our clients.